Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Thing #21 More Google

Even though Google is my middle name, there were still lots of things out there that I wasn't up on. I haven't played around on Google Earth in a while so I downloaded the latest version and discovered that you can do historical views now. That is very useful in teaching Earth Science. You can look at features such as barrier islands and see how they change over time. This really comes in handy for looking at areas before and after events like hurricanes and landslides. I looked at Bolivar Island before and after Hurricane Ike and saved some images.


Jan. 8, 2008 & Jan. 30, 2009

I also tried out Google Alerts. I set up a few alerts so I'll be getting emails now whenever lunar eclipses are in the news and if anything comes up on some medical conditions I'm researching.

I've had an iGoogle page for a couple of years but I played around with it and did some rearranging. I love my iGoogle home page. It has my Google Reader that I usually skim through every night. It also has a translator, moon phase calendar, Wikipedia gadget, weather, Places to See, Art of the Day and of course my hamster.

My boss uses Sketch Up all the time and has produced some pretty impressive graphics. I'll have to save that for another day but I do need to be able to use it. I frequently need graphics for science tests or activities and I either can't find what I need or there are copyright issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment