Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Thing #23 Beyond Facebook: Other Social Networks

In exploring the Ning, Classroom 2.0, I found several ways it could come in handy. There were videos explaining how to do something or showcasing new technologies like this one giving an overview about the planetarium software, Celesta. Besides presenting information for my learning, there were ways to use the Ning to directly enhance student learning. I liked the idea of posting student interviews about their science fair projects. Explaining the project forces the student to clarify his thinking and the Ning provides a potential audience so that the presentation has purpose.

I liked the tags that were organized by tool. That way I could quickly find ways teachers were using a tool that I was interested in like the links here to the collaborative concept maps tags.

I can see where Nings would be useful too if you needed to set up a communication tool for a new organization such as an athletic group or hobby group.

I checked out some other educational Nings and I really liked this one that organizes collaborative projects for students. I could see using that in our district curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment